Thursday, July 3, 2008

Musing about Names

So, I have joined the world of the Blog, where anyone in the cyber world can get a glimpse inside my mind - however scary that might turn out to be. To start with I have been thinking lots about the meaning of my names, probably cos its nearly party time and the theme for my birthday is the meaning of my names, as is the title of my Blog. For those who don't know, my full name is Varla Fiona King. I have been known as Fiona for most of my life (and still am in some circles) as my mom and gran both have the same first name as me. My parents put Fiona as my second name cos my initials would have been F.V.K. and sometimes a V looks like a U... Anyway, last year at Easter Camp God told me it was time to start using my first name. I have often hated that name cos I used to get teased about it, and for years I would not even tell anyone what it was. A good friend (and my youth pastor at the time) Craig helped me understand that by hating my name, I was hating myself, and I eventually got to the point where I could tell people what it was, but would not let people use it. God continued his healing work and in an intense prayer session with Craig, Tandy, Rudi and Vince at Easter Camp 2007 it became clear to me that God wanted me to start using that name more, as a sign that he was doing this healing work in my heart. It took a while, but now everyone at church calls me Varla (although some of my older friends and people at work still call me Fiona or Fee).

I love both of my names, actually all three of them!
Varla is Scandinavian and means Warrior Princess and the verse which God gave me for that is Joshua 1:5: No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.
Fiona is Gaelic and means fair and pure and the verse for that is Matthew 5:8: God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.
King is just another reminder that I am of royal blood cos I am God's daughter!!
The colours which remind me of these meanings are purple, white and silver - including my beautiful new silver car, JT (for James Too)!!

So, that is why I chose the title I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment